Honda CB125 TD Superdream Restoration

The trials and tribulations experienced by a complete beginner whilst restoring an early 1980's 125cc Honda Superdream.

Thursday 4 March 2010

Starting the Engine for the first time

I finally got around to fitting all the bits together so I could try and start the engine.

To be honest with you, I didn't hold out much hope of it starting but that's just me being my normal negative self. Seeing as I'd never heard the engine running and most of the bike actually came in a box I did have good reason to feel so negative! I put some fresh fuel in the tank, made sure that all the wires were connected to where they should be and said a prayer to the mechanic gods.

My first surprise was that the engine actually turned over from the starter! So the wiring was ok, the starter motor was fine and the engine was connected to said starter, fantastic. Next surprise was that it started to cough and splutter and was really trying its hardest to start. A little more encouragement and, good god, she started! Then stopped. Got her going again and soon it became apparent that there were issues. Actually two issues; both pipes were smoking. It wasn't black smoke that you'd get if it was running rich, it was the grey stuff that hangs around for a while and lets you know from smell alone that it's burning oil. Damn.

Oh well, for those few seconds before the smoke appeared I was as happy as could be. All that stands between me feeling that way again is an engine rebuild and I'm the man to do it (I hope)! I'll cover the strip and rebuild in the next set of posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment